1/72 Revell Seaking ASAC.7

by Tom Berres

--------------------

 

     This is the excellent Revell Seaking.  I picked this kit as a break between more challenging kits.  I made very slight modifications to convert it from and AEW.2 to the current ASAC.7--mostly antennae.  I used sets from Airwaves to improve the interior and exterior.  Inspired by the PE tail fold detail, I decided to take on folding the main rotors.

     As usual, construction began in the cockpit.  Airwaves PE also provided the seat belts on the scratch built seats.  The seats were simply 0.010' sheet styrene sides glued to form the buckets.  Then 0.030' was sanded with rounded edges to become the cushions.  I didn't modify the crew compartment seats, since they weren't very visible.  Other than the instrument panel, the seats, and seat belts, there really wasn't much more required for the cockpit and crew compartment.

     Before gluing the fuselage sides together, I separated the tail since I intended to pose the model with the tail and main rotors folded.  Since some of the interior of the fuselage and tail structure would be visible through the fold, I used styrene strip to simulate the stringers and formers.  I also cut away several of the plastic vents and replaced them with fine brass mesh.  Additionally, I drilled out the landing lights and then closed them with styrene sheet--to be replaced later with MV lenses and Krystal Clear.

Click on images below to see larger images

  

  

  

     With the fuselage together, I focused on the exterior details.  I replaced the kit's inflated radome with Airwaves' resin deflated dome.  For the distinctive intake filters, I again chose the Airwaves parts to replace those in the kit.  The Airwaves resin intake has includes finely detailed PE for the filters.  For the rotors, I cut away four of the rotors, adding detail with styrene rod, strip, and sheet.  I also used copper wire and solder to simulate the complex hydraulics.  Airwaves PE sets were used for the main gear bays and several antennae. 

     Rather than use decals for the non-skid surfaces and the black exhaust area, I masked with tape so that I could weather these areas through airbrushing.  I painted by hand mixing Tamiya acrylics.  After several coats of Future, I used decals from Model Alliance.  Testors acrylic flat was used to dull the finish.  Stretched sprue forms the radio antenna on the port side of the fuselage.

 This is a fantastic kit.  Even without aftermarket parts, it would build into a fine Seaking.  With the fine Airwaves parts and the excellence of the basic kit this was a really fun and relaxing build.

Thomas

Click on images below to see larger images

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

Photos and text by Thomas J. Berres II