1/72 Airfix De Havilland 82.a Tiger Moth

Gallery Article by Phillip Steele on Oct 13 2015

 

      

My latest build, a fairly good quality kit, although the plastic seemed a bit brittle. This version also had to have a piece cut out to accept the anti spin strakes. I put as much extra detail into the effort as the model could handle, re-positioning the control surfaces to provide a more natural appearance and adding detail items, all scratch built. The grass mat really adds to the "in scale" look.

Click on images below to see larger images

I used 2 lb fishing line for the rigging and made the control horns from flattened brass rod. The eyelets on the tail plane were wound on a # 80 drill with .004" brass wire. The fuel line is 6 lb line. The seat belts are pieces of thinly cut wrapping ribbon, painted with Tamiya khaki. The red is Testors 1104 dark red, which matched the bottom wing lettering quite well. The wings are a dull silver color I made myself.

This is actually a replica of a flight school aircraft. I found plenty of reference photos of it. There's nothing like working from the real thing. 

Phillip Steele

Click on images below to see larger images

 

Photos and text by Phillip Steele