1/48 Monogram B-58 Hustler

Gallery Article by David Sim (archybean) on Feb 14 2012

 

 

I think this kit is pretty well documented, so I won't go into that much detail. I built this one straight from the box. I saw lots of flak from people about the dent just forward of the windows....it isn't a big deal at all, sand it down and a little putty and it is fixed. I didn't even use the filler, just sanded it down. Once the window section of the canopy is on, it isn't really noticeable IMO. I did a very basic cockpit painting, because with it closed, you can hardly see anything inside. I used the kit decals to represent "Greased Lightning" which set a speed record from Tokyo to London of 8 hours 35 minutes.

 

Click on images below to see larger images

Building it was straight forward, just lots of dry fitting to make sure it was as good as I could get it. Knowing I was going to foil the whole plane, it took a lot of time and patience to get the putty filled and sanded smooth. One part I deleted from the kit were the grossly oversized probes on either side of the nose. Since it was going to be foiled, I wanted to be able to make it flexible...so I glued small magnets inside the plane as well as both pods, so it can be displayed one of three ways.  I also didn't glue the long nose probe on as that is just begging to be broken off.

Now the fun part...foil! This is the 5th plane that I've foiled now and I think I've gotten the hang of it. Through all the dry fitting, the inner engine pod on either side had a terrible fit, so those were Tenaxed on and filled with putty. The nose and wing sections were then masked off and the flat black paint was put on, as I wasn't about to paint those after the foil. I got the landing gear doors first, and then proceeded to get the plane, working from centerline out so the small pieces on the edges of things were last and (hopefully) least damaged from handling.  It was a chore to foil around the inner pods already attached. The outer pods were foiled and then Tenaxed on. After major sections of foil were put on I put a layer of Future on to seal them. Finally all the foil and pieces were on and a coat of Future were put on and set for 2-3 days. I was finally able to decal it, which really turned it into a Hustler.  I stopped counting/lost track of the hours as I just build for pleasure and don't want to keep track of all that...but if I were to guess, it would probably be about 100 hours worth of work.

David, aka archybean

Click on images below to see larger images

 

      

Photos and text by David Sim (archybean)