1/32 Hasegawa F-16D (part 2)

F-16C converted into an F-16D

by Jake Melampy

--------------------

 

PAINT AND MARKINGS

After the mods were completed to bring the kit up to modern Block 42 specs, I sprayed the jet with Model Master acrylics.  The white/gray "OK" and serials were supplied by Mike Grant (thanks again, Mike, they look great!!).
The rest of the markings were made at home on my computer and printed using a laser printer.   Once the decals were on, another coat of Future was applied, followed by a light wash to bring out some of the panel lines.  The next day, Dullcoat was applied to bring down the gloss.

Click on image below to see larger image

Click on images below to see larger images

LANDING GEAR

Block 42s have larger landing gear than earlier versions, so these would have to be reproduced. Luckily, Cutting Edge had just released their conversion to add the "big-mouth" intake (not used here) and larger main wheels and bulged gear doors.  I snapped up the set to use the wheels and doors on my model.  Hydraulic lines were added to the gear struts using fishing line, followed by a wash.  The landing/taxi lights on the nose gear door were scratch-built using scrap plastic and clear ThermaForm.

Click on images below to see larger images

ARMAMENT

Air National Guard jets usually are not armed while at home, with the exception of inert training rounds.  I swiped the AIM-120 and AIM-9 from the Tamiya F-15E.  The LANTIRN targeting pod was also from the Tamiya F-15E, but modified.  I cut off the head and repositioned it at a 30-degree angle, like real pods. The LANTIRN pylon was scratch-built and cast, again for future F-16 models.  The kit includes a TER, but is just about unuseable due to very poor detail.  Again, Tamiya came to the rescue.  I used a TER from the F-4, cut off its front, and added a scratch-built aerodynamic front.  Cables were added to bring some life into it.

Click on images below to see larger images

CANOPY

The canopy was worrying me from day one.  I thought I knew how I would construct it, but was never quite sure my theory would work.  I bought a block of balsa wood and went to work.  I began to cut, sand, and whittle wood away until I got the shape and contours right.  The biggest problem was getting the whole thing symmetrical.  I thought I would use the wooden canopy as the master, but I found out too late that balsa wood was the wrong choice.  The wood grain was very prominent and could not be sanded away. I decided to cast the wood canopy to make a resin canopy master.  Once I had
this, I used Squadron's clear Thermaform to reproduce the canopy.  The front part was tinted with Future mixed with yellow food coloring, while the rear part was masked to be kept clear.  The structure and canopy framing was all built from scrap plastic sheet.

Click on images below to see larger images

FINISHING TOUCHES

The exhaust is from Cutting Edge.  The detail on it is outstanding.  The front HUD frame was added, along with the glass.  The rear HUD-repeater was built from scrap plastic.  The front of the HUD-repeater has a rubber seal on it, and this was made from lead foil.  The canopy actuator is a combination of plastic sprue and a paper clip.  Wiring between the cockpits was made from fishing line, as were the static wicks on the trailing edge of the wings, horizontal stabs, and vertical stabs.  The intake cover was made from tissue soaked in a white glue/water combo, and painted red to add some necessary color.

Click on image below to see larger image

It took about two years to finish, but I am very happy with the results.  In retrospect, there are some areas I could have done better, and some areas where I could have added more detail.  In the end, I was just eager to get it done.  It now sits next to my other 1/32 F-16s in my living room, much to the dismay of my wife!!

Click on images below to see larger images

I hope everyone enjoys seeing the pictures and article.

Jake

Photos and text by Jake Melampy