1/32 Hasegawa F-16D (part 1)

F-16C converted into an F-16D

by Jake Melampy

--------------------

 

This is a project I began about two years ago.  I have always liked the outlines of the twin-seat F-16B/D, and I wanted one in my collection.  Since there were no kits of the two-seat F-16 in 1/32, I decided that I'd have to build my own.  This is the Hasegawa F-16A/C kit, converted using my own scratch-built parts.

The first step was measuring the model to try to figure out where I needed to remove parts of the fuselage.  Luckily, most of the cutting was done on existing panel lines.  A large chunk of fuselage was then removed to make room for the rear cockpit.  Once that was complete, my attention turned to the panel lines, which were removed and rescribed.  Not totally necessary, but I think it helps the looks of the finished model.  The vertical stab also had to be modified slightly.  F-16Ds do not have the scoops on the base of the vertical stab or the scoop on the leading edge.  These were removed.
With the fuselage complete, I then moved on to the front cockpit.

FRONT COCKPIT

The front is basic
ally a Black Box cockpit for the F-16C.  Since the D is a combat-ready aircraft, the C and D both have identical front cockpits.  The only parts that aren't Black Box is the front instrument panel and instrument panel shroud.  Black Box missed the mark badly on these two parts.  They were scratch-built and cast for all of my future F-16s.

Click on image below to see larger image

REAR COCKPIT

The rear cockpit is mostly scratch-built using the kit's cockpit as a basis.  The side panels were constructed using very thin plasticard.  Switches and knobs were added where necessary.  The instrument panel was also constructed from sheet plastic and the MFDs were swiped from a spare F-15E.  The rear instrument panel shroud was constructed from thick sheet plastic and sanded to shape to round the edges.  The area between the two seats was built up and detail was added on the rear bulkhead to finish up.

Click on images below to see larger images

AIRFRAME

The jet was originally going to be a block 30 from the 178FW.  The jet had been painted and the Ohio ANG markings had been hand-painted.  Somewhere along the line, I changed my mind and decided to do a block 42 from the 138FW, with the very attractive Indian Head tailmarkings.  I now had to apply the skin strengtheners found on Block 40 and 42 jets. 

Click on images below to see larger images

Scratch-built AIM-120 launch rails, ECS vent, ECM "beer cans", and static dischargers for the radome were also built at this time.

Jake

Click on images below to see larger images

 

Photos and text by Jake Melampy