1/32 Hasegawa F-16C (part 2)

by Jeff Brundt

--------------------

 

The canopy was sanded to remove the molded seam and then polished with successive grits of Micro-Mesh up to 12000. The canopy was then sprayed with Tamiya clear yellow to give it that golden EMI shielded look and dipped it in Future for a nice shine and to restore clarity. 

Click on images below to see larger images

The Viper was painted with MM enamels over Floquil grimy black preshaded panel lines. The main painting was followed by an oil wash in the panel lines and some pastel chalk weathering.  A coat of clear, gloss lacquer was applied to smooth things out in preparation for decal application.  

Click on images below to see larger images

I wasn’t too fanatical about reproducing a specific C model but my Viper is intended to portray a mid block 30 variant. Trying to do a Block 40 or 50 would have required a lot more work than I wanted to do. 

Click on images below to see larger images

I used the kit decals for the placards and data and Two-Bobs Montgomery, Ala. ANG Viper with the cobra on the tail. This design really appealed to me. The kit decals went on well despite their thickness (when compared to the Two Bob’s set) and a little Micro-Sol helped settle them down. The Two Bob’s decals went on with no problem. They are very thin and I only needed a stronger dose of Solva-Set to get the ‘Montgomery’ banner on the vertical fin to settle.

Click on images below to see larger images

As usual the most time consuming part was the ordinance. I was conflicted during the whole build process as to what this bird would carry. I finally settled on the four AIM-9J’s in the kit and some 500lbs iron bombs. These needed a bit of work to fill the ejector pin marks that were all over the missiles. The kit includes two 2000lbs GBU’s and Sparrow missiles but these don’t look too good. The instructions also show these not being used for some strange reason. I suppose I could have robbed my Academy Hornet for extra ordinance but I wanted to use what was in the kit. I did modify the 500 pounders with fuse extenders. I only put two on each MER because I read somewhere that they weren’t carried on the inboard station of the pylon. The fuse extenders were made with plastic rod. The sidewinders were painted and the decal stripes were cut from extra color decal sheets I had.

Click on images below to see larger images

This model took much longer than usual to complete; right around 6 months. I took a break now and then during the build to help keep from getting stale on it. In the end it was worth the wait. It makes a nice addition to my F-15, A-10 and F-14 models (all in 32nd). Now I have to get that Academy Bug done and I’ll have a rounded out collection of modern US combat aircraft.

Jeff

 

Click on images below to see larger images

Photos and text © by Jeff Brundt