1/72 Revell F-16

using Two Bobs Aggressor decals

Model by Arkut Yuksel

Photos by Ufuk Aydiner

--------------------

 

The new released 1/72 scale F-16  kit from Revell is a shake and bake kit that nearly no fillers was needed. Only some glue dropped between the joints of the parts and there you go!  You’ve got an F-16 ready to paint.

Also nothing much was needed to be added if you really do not think about opening the bays or stuff like that in a 1/72 scale F-16. Nearly all of the parts are detailed enough for that scale, maybe some crazy-modelers would like to add just a little to the landing gear wells. Only the AOA probes and static electric discharges were scratch-built. Due to my references (well, nothing much checked as the scale is very small) the only seeable thing that requires just some fillers to get some shape is the rudder tip; at the edge there is just a little bump down the detail which hardly is noticeable in that scale.

Click on images below to see larger images

After the construction, my project was ready for painting, but what to do? Months ago I had bought the Aggressor decals from TwoBobs which are good in all aspect. Correct in shape and color and thin enough to be hidden underneath the varnish., my project was ready for painting, but what to do? Months ago I had bought the Aggressor decals from TwoBobs which are good in all aspect. Correct in shape and color and thin enough to be hidden underneath the varnish.

The only existing problem was that when I checked reference photos that were posted at the TwoBobs  site, I realized that the camouflage pattern was differing from the one shown at the painting guide. So I tried to get as much as pictures to get enough of an opinion about the correct paint scheme; especially the upper left wing pattern was missing; so that part was a little bit “what-if”

The paints were from different marks: Light brown from JPS of Germany, Brown and Green from Gunze Sangyo. The Gunze ones were used due to the painting guide but the Light Brown was the only existing mark that I had; I would prefer the Brown also from that mark as it seems more correct but no chance.

The paints were airbrushed without masking with Badger 100 GF.  After painting the kit I placed the decals and my kit was ready for weather…  I just realized that the holes under the wings were not closed ??!!  I had to do it again, that filling part and repainting etc. Instead I chose putting the pylons under but had no idea about the colours of them nor the ordnance. I checked the internet, tried to get as much as data but that was not enough, and then I received a letter from TwoBobs which was giving some information about the ordnance. A complete service is this what I call!

Reading to their letter I made up my mind in loading the plane as you see. you see.

Then came the weathering part which enjoyed me a lot while doing it. The ACMI, pod was scratch built.

Photos were taken by Ufuk Aydiner to whom I owe a lot of thanks.

Hope you enjoyed the model.

Arkut

Click on images below to see larger images

Photos and text © by Arkut Yuksel and Ufuk Aydiner