Kikka (Orange Blossom) was Japan's
aircraft. It was developed late in World
War II and the first prototype had only flown once before the end of the
conflict. The original IJN request was for a fast attack bomber with foldable
wings, easy enough for unskilled labor to build. However this consideration was
not meant for carrier use but rather for hiding the Kikka in caves and tunnels
save from the B29 raids! The aircraft bore a strong but superficial resemblance
to the Me262, the Kikka being significantly smaller with straight wings and tail
surfaces instead (see pic for comparison). The axial flow turbojet powerplant
was reversed engineered from the German BMW003. Maximum speed was 852 km/hr and
range was 980km for the interceptor version. By 1945, the IJN changed the
Kikka’s designation to ‘special attacker’ denoting for Kamikaze-use (max
speed 677 km/hr). Only one prototype made it into the air before the war ended.
Under construction at war’s end were several versions for a fighter,
interceptor, recce-bird and 2-seat trainers.
is the ‘Special Attacker’ version from FineMolds, the only one of the type
to have actually flown. From the box inspection, the detailing and quality
looked okay, with recessed panel lines. I built the kit OOB and very soon
encountered some mismatched fit problems with the fuselage halves and engine
nacelles. This took quite a bit of sanding, filling and sanding again to
rectify. Considering this was from FineMolds, I was quite surprised.
friend who’s building another Kikka did not experience this. Maybe just my
luck to have gotten a bad batch. Apart for the problem mentioned, the other
parts and fit was perfect.
images below to see larger images
cockpit detailing was basic and you either have to live with it or do some
scratch-building. No aftermarket products for this. Hardly any information
either. The canopy was molded in one-piece and when finished in
‘closed’, it wasn’t too bad. For flavor sake, I added a set of
Eduard IJN Late-War Seatbelts and ‘opened’ the cockpit. It was hell
trying to cut the canopy. I am all ears if anyone has a better way.
were no weapon fitted whatsoever perhaps for lack of more information on
this part. A pair of RATOs (which were clearly visible in the prototype
flying trial photos) is included with the kit and you have the option to
have them installed or not. There were no engine details. There is an
upgraded Kikka kit from FineMolds in the market that do offer the full
engine detailed option. More bang for the buck if you ask me.
instructions offered painting guides for the flying prototype and an imagined
unit deployment. As both were similar in appearance – I opted for the unit
version. Painting was the usual IJN Green top and IJN Grey bottom. I used
Tamiya’s enamel for both, over a base coat of Tamiya’s Chrome Silver. The
entire finish was then sealed with Future. Weathering was kept to bare minimum
considering the machine only flew once. Again I tried something new, picked up
from my expert bros right here in ARC. I applied the panel wash using a marker
pen – the Gundam ‘Black’ Real Touch Marker. It was easy to use.
over the panel lines and smudged them with a Q-tip or your fingers. Not bad to
my taste although you need to experiment quite a bit to get the right effect.
from the tedious rectification of the misfit fuselage and engine nacelles, I
enjoyed this build. I enjoyed the experiments even more. Thanks to all the bros
that helped me along.
images below to see larger images