Subject: Re: ARC Walkaround
From: "Steve Bamford" <[email-masked]>
To: "Ross SPENARD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 00:01:32 -0700

I forgot to add Steve.  My personal e-mail (this is from work) is
[email-masked] should you want to get ahold of me.

Remaining photos and line drawings are attached.

Ross Spenard

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com
----- Original Message -----
From: Ross SPENARD <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2000 10:33 PM
Subject: ARC Walkaround

Hello Steve,
I came upon the 3 Steve's site the other while I was looking for some info
on the CF116 Freedom Fighter.  Quite a nice site and it even nicer to see
that it is updated on a daily basis.  Anyhow I got into the "Walkaround"
page and saw the request for photos etc...  Well I have got several for you.
I'll probably send them to you in a couple of batches.
I live out in Abbotsford BC, a suburb of Vancouver and home of the
Abbotsford Int'l Air show.  Over the years I have been able to get some good
reference photos for projects that I have worked or plan on working on.
The 1st batch is of 2 SeaKing helicopters that are base out of 443 Squadron
at Patricia Bay, Victoria.  The exterior photos are of a CH124B.  This
aircraft was at the '96 Air show.  It differs from most of the other
SeaKings in that it is a passive sensor platform.  Instead of having a
dipping sonar it drops sonobouys and listens.  I had missed the Air show
that year and dropped by the airport on the Monday morning to see what was
left of the displays before they departed back to their bases.  This
aircraft was parked out by the airport manager's office.  They were good
enough to let me out on the tarmac to take several photos.  While I was
doing that the crew came by to pre-flight the aircraft and they took me on a
quick tour of the interior.  Unfortunately I did not have my flash handy and
most of the photos while useable are quite grainy as I had to try long
exposures.  From that series of photos I was able to complete my 1st SeaKing
model (Hasegawa's 1/48 kit)  I got hold of 443 Squadron requesting some more
info on the aircraft as I was going to build another kit and volunteered my
completed model to their mess.  They were good enough to invite my wife and
myself and we were their guest for the day.  I work with the RCMP and so
they had to take me up for an operational flight.  Afterwards I was able to
get several excellent reference photos to complete my 2nd kit.  I was also
able to get some line drawings out of the operational manual.  I also
located a company in Langley BC that rebuilds GE engines.  They gave me a
couple of diagrams of the GE T-58 turbine engines.
For the photos:
#1 This is an overview of aircraft 124424, CH124B, parked on the tarmac of
the Abbotsford Airport
#2 This is mid-rang view of the starboard side from the cargo door forward.
#3 This shows the various launch tubes for sonobouys and flares. Various
antenna and A/C light.  The tube that is just ahead of the tail wheel is the
tail probe.  When these aircraft land aboard the DDH or Frigate the probe is
inserted into a trough on the deck.  This secures the aft end of the
aircraft to the deck so that in pitching and rolling seas the tail is not
flailing around.  The orange disk is the crash position indicator.
#4 Close up of the engine covers, rotor head and exhaust
#5 This is the starboard weapons mount
#6 Looking up to the pilots seat.  They have curtains installed on the
inside lower glass panel.
#7 This is a head on shot of 424.  Pilots and crew are listed alongside.
They are Lt WEBB (RN), Maj STROCEL,Capt ADAMS (he was my tour guide),Capt
ALLAN, Capt COX (he was my co-pilot on my flight in 99),Capt FAGANELLO, Capt
SEMENIUK & Capt TRUSCOTT.  The crew: MWO MCINNES, Sgt PERREAULT, MCpl
BERGEN, MCpl DESPOES, MCpl LEDUC, Cpl JUSTASON, Cpl KNIGHT, Cpl SIMPSON, Cpl
SOUTHAM & Cpl WHITE.
#8 Co-pilot side of the aircraft
#9 Port side sponson & antenna
#10. Not quite sure what this is it may be a long blade antenna of some
sort.  It starts slightly aft of the radome and runs almost to the hinge
support for the tail pylon.
#11 This is the locking pin for the tail pylon and the tail rotor.
#12 This is a close up of the internal parts of the tail folding mechanism.
(This is the start of the photos of aircraft 124435 taken December 99 at Pat
Bay)
#13 This what a GE T-58 looks like
#14 Another view of a T-58 and part of the engine hatch.
#15 Over view of the engine hatch
#16 Instrument panel.  Not seen in the photo is the aircraft tool box.  This
is normally stored right behind the co-pilots seat on the floor.  The box
that is attached to the back of the co-pilots seat is the sea anchor.
#17 This is the sensor suite.  The aircraft number shows up as the "35" on
the left side of the panel.  Located to the left and behind of the 2nd seat
is the top of the winch cable assembly that is used to haul the helicopter
down to the deck of the ship in rough seas.  The cable is deployed from a
small opening just ahead of the dipping sonar.  This is the C.G. for the
helicopter.
#18 This is looking forward along the port side of the aircraft.  The yellow
bundle in the center of the photo is a "crew" size life raft.  The dipping
sonar is underneath the green cover in the center of the photo.  The green
tarp on the floor is only there during maintaince.
#19 Looking up the starboard side of the aircraft.  Equipment racks abound
inside this aircraft.  The hoist controls are on the panel right next to the
cargo door.  The tube running around the top of the door is emergency
lighting.  It is located around the windows that are emergency exits.
#20 This is one of the crew seats.  It is slightly different from the pilot
and co-pilot seats.  It is a pedestal mount and can pivot.  The back cushion
is also a personal life raft.  The red knob on the left is the inflation
control.
#21 Looking aft, starboard side.  Some more equipment racks.  In the CH124B
the racks are longer and carry a few more boxes.
#22 Looking aft, port side, Sonobouys and flare storage is at the back of
the aircraft.
#23 Looking straight down towards the tail probe winch.  The sonobouys and
flare launcher is in the foreground
#24 This is a detail shot of the rotor head.
#25 This is a B & W line drawing of the sensor suite panel.  The helicopter
haul down hoist is shown here at the back bulkhead.
#26 This is the mount and hoist for the dipping sonar
#27 This is the wheel assembly and the housing for the dipping sonar.  In
regards to the housing.  There are 4 rectangular windows around the housing
so that you can observe the sonar transducer.
#28 This is a line drawing of the GE T-58 engine.  I have to thank the good
folks at Helipro in Langley for this one.
#29 This is line drawing looking forward in a CH124B.  The box in the center
of the drawing is the storage bin the numerous sonobouys that this aircraft
would deploy.

Ross Spenard