Aircraft Resource Center

                                 

1/72 Matchbox Dassault Mystere IVA  

by Rupesh Santoshi

--------------------

  India Air Force Day 2005 

Birthday-announcement banner

Gal mainpage Ad above main pic

 

Gal mainpage Ad below main pic

The reissue of the Mystere IV A kit by Matchbox caught my attention because it came with Indian Air Force decals. I was even keener to build the kit once I saw the eye-catching ‘leaping tiger’ nose art on an Indian Air Force Mystere IV A. I found the leaping tiger nose art in a photo posted by fellow modeler Polly Singh on the Bharat-Rakshak website. The No. 1, Tigers, squadron of the Indian Air Force operated Mystere IV A’s from 1957 to 1966. In total, some 110 of these aircraft served from 1957 to 1973 with the Indian Air Force. Since the Mystere IV A was an evolution of the MD Ouragan 450, I have included a photo of an Indian Air Force Ouragan with equally colorful nose art from my collection.

Click on images below to see larger images

Build
There are just over 25 parts and it’s an easy kit to build. The kit parts are vintage Matchbox with deep trench lines, raised surface detail and very thick clear parts. The plastic, though, was very smooth and provided a nice platform for a bare metal finish.

The kit was built pretty much out of the box, with the exception of the seat belts and ejection handle. The parts did not fit particularly well, so I used putty on all the seams. Fortunately, there weren’t many parts to glue. The canopy came in two parts, but each piece was very thick. There was a black spot on one piece that I could not sand off. The rear canopy section also did not fit over the fuselage aft of the canopy, and once glued in place left a small gap with the windshield. So, not only could the two-piece canopy not be shown in an open position, it fit poorly in the closed position.

The kit’s drop tanks, if they can be called that, are the sorriest ones I’ve seen in any kit. They are underscale and not even close to the shape of the tanks carried by the Mysteres. I left them off even though early jets were fuel hogs and needed extra tanks just to fly a decent distance. Therefore, drop tanks were a must. Despite these shortcomings, the overall kit captures the look and feel of the real jet.

Painting
Mysteres in Indian Air Force service looked pretty clean and appear not to have multicolored paneling. Therefore, I used Testor’s Steel Metalizer for most of the kit. To provide some shading I buffed some areas less than others. I sealed the paint with Future because I was worried that the decals would silver if I didn’t. After decaling I sealed the entire model with Testor’s Flat acrylic finish.

Decals
The kit decals are for one French AdA and Indian Air Force aircraft. The Indian Air Force decals are for “IA 1017” from an unidentified squadron in 1958. But I did not let that stop me from building it as a No. 1 squadron aircraft, since this squadron was equipped with the type in 1958.

The leaping tiger decal, the major reason for building this kit, was created in Adobe Illustrator using a single reference photo. It took many hours to get it right because it was my first time using this software. To make matters more difficult, the reference photo is in black and white making it hard to tell which colors were used on the real nose art. So, I made it up. To make sure that all the colors would show through, I used a solid white outline of the tiger decal as a base layer. The colored tiger layer was printed on a color laser printer and laid on top of the white base.

Click on images below to see larger images

I was worried that the solid white background would not fit snugly over the rounded fuselage, so I used Q-tips to smooth out any water and air bubbles out from under the decal. To make sure it laid down well, I also used decal solvent, which creased and wrinkled the decal. Despite my instinct to ‘fix’ the problem, I waited for a few hours. Sure enough, the decals had stretched over the fuselage nicely, and I placed the colored tiger layer over the white background. Another round of Q-tip burnishing and a solvent wash was followed by Future® to seal the entire decal.

An interesting aspect of the reference photo is the rear-facing position of the green filet in the fin flash. Normally, the green faces forward. Polly Singh informed me that many of the aircraft were delivered from Dassault with the green filets backwards. This error was subsequently corrected. It seems like Matchbox used a real reference photo because the kit instructions call for the saffron filet to face forward based on a 1958 photo.

References
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Images/Classic/Mystere.html
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Aircraft/Models/Polly/PM20.jpg

Rupesh

Gal mainpage Ad above main pic

Vertical ad

Photos and text © by Rupesh Santoshi

footer banner