Subject: Re: Hi Steve - an article for ARC
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:03:07 -0700

Hi Malcolm,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks for
sending it in.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 8:30 AM
Subject: Hi Steve - an article for ARC

(See attached file: 08.jpg)(See attached file: 02.jpg)(See attached file:
03.jpg)(See attached file: 04.jpg)(See attached file: 05.jpg)(See attached
file: 06.jpg)(See attached file: 07.jpg)(See attached file: 01.jpg)

                           Academy 1/48 Mig-21MF

                               Malcolm Reid
                           --------------------

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----|
|       Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here
|
|
|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----|

   This is a really nice little kit with good surface detail. Air to air
   missiles (AA-2) were provided but I decided to install a full complement
   of rocket pods instead and paint in the Russian three tone green and tan
   tactical fighter scheme.

   The cockpit detail in the kit is a bit sparse. On the plus side, the
   three air brakes can be left open and the flaps can be dropped. I did a
   couple of extra things :
   ·  Used the Neomega cockpit set ? very nice
   ·  Opened auxiliary intake doors on sides of forward fuselage ? these
   usually flap open when aircraft is at rest as I guess they are spring
   loaded
   ·  Replaced strakes beneath the intake doors ? kit parts are too thick
   ·  Added extra detail to the undercarriage bays and main landing gear
   legs
   ·  Added extra detail to the two forward airbrake housings
   ·  Made moulds and resin copies of rocket pods from a friend's Academy
   MiG-21PF kit.
   ·  Kit "odd rod" IFF antennae were cut away and replaced with thinner
   rods

                                                                         ---
--------------------------------|
     Click on images below to see                                       |
|
            larger images                                               |
|
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------+---
--------------------------------|
|    Steve Bamford will insert a    |    Steve Bamford will insert a   |
Steve Bamford will insert a    |
|   click-able smaller version of   |   click-able smaller version of   |
click-able smaller version of   |
|  photo 03.jpg here. Clicking on  |  photo 04.jpg here. Clicking on  |
photo 05.jpg here. Clicking on  |
| that photo will bring up the full | that photo will bring up the full |
that photo will bring up the full |
|   sized version of photo 03.jpg   |   sized version of photo 04.jpg   |
sized version of photo 05.jpg   |
|                                   |                                   |
|
|                                   |                                   |
|
|                                   |                                   |
|
|-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------+---
--------------------------------|

   The model was finished using Xtra Colour gloss enamels and weathered
   with pastels. Oil streaks were applied to the underside using a wash of
   white spirit and oils. The first kit decals I applied (onto the Xtra
   Colour gloss paint surface) silvered. I tried Microsol with no joy. I
   then managed to eliminate the silvering by applying very small
   quantities of Tamiya Extra Thin cement in the effected areas. Warning -
   this is an extreme measure as too much cement can "craze" the underlying
   paint and make the decal colours run. This was before I discovered the
   joys of Future as a decal agent.

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----|
|
|
|       Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here
|
|
|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----|

   All in all a nice little kit and a pleasant model building experience ?
   now where's the MiG-23/27 in 48th scale ???

                                                                         ---
--------------------------------|
     Click on images below to see                                       |
|
            larger images                                               |
|
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------+---
--------------------------------|
|    Steve Bamford will insert a    |    Steve Bamford will insert a    |
Steve Bamford will insert a    |
|   click-able smaller version of   |   click-able smaller version of   |
click-able smaller version of   |
|  photo 06.jpg here. Clicking on  |  photo 07.jpg here. Clicking on  |
photo 08.jpg here. Clicking on  |
| that photo will bring up the full | that photo will bring up the full |
that photo will bring up the full |
|   sized version of photo 06.jpg   |   sized version of photo 07.jpg   |
sized version of photo 08.jpg   |
|                                   |                                   |
|
|                                   |                                   |
|
|                                   |                                   |
|
|-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------+---
--------------------------------|

                          Photos and text © 2003

Regards

Malcolm Reid

Tel : +27 (0)11 518 1049
Cell : +27 (0)83 290 6173
Fax : +27 (0)11 518 1089
e-mail : [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------
The information transmitted is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient
of this message you are hereby notified that any use, review,
retransmission, dissemination, distribution, reproduction or any
action taken in reliance upon this message is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.  Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect
the views of the company.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------