Subject: Re: 1/72 Supermarine Attacker
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Human Torch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:54:44 -0700

Hi Haroon,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks for sending it in.   

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com
 
Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Human Torch 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 2:24 PM
  Subject: 1/72 Supermarine Attacker 

  Gallery Template #03

  "1/72 Supermarine Attacker " 

  by "Haroon"
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here 

  History

  The Attacker was derived from the Supermarine Spiteful, an intended replacement for the 
  Spitfire. It kept the Spiteful's wing (and four 20 mm cannon) but had a new tail and fuselage 
  which housed a jet engine. The first navalised prototype flew on 17th June 1947. The first 
  production aircraft (an F1) flew in April 1950 and became the first jet aircraft to enter FAA 
  front line service in August 1951. Bomb facilities were added to the F1 design to make the FB1 
  which was followed by the FB2 which replaced the FB1s Mk 101 Nene turbojet with a Mk 102.
  The Pakistan Air Force ordered 36 Attackers, de-navalized and able to carry two 1,000-lb bombs 
  and 8 rocket projectiles. The arrival of the Attacker in June 1951, ushered Pakistan Air Force 
  into the jet age. The Attacker served with the No.11 'Arrows' squadron, which in turn had the 
  honour of being the first jet fighter squadron in Pakistan. The Attacker went on to form the 
  first jet aerobatic team called "The Paybills". With Pakistan taking sides with America in the 
  spread against communism, the influx of American military aid in the form of the F-86 Sabre 
  spelt the end for the Attacker in  the Pakistan Air Force. The No.11s were re-equipped with 
  Sabres on 18th January 1956.  

  The Royal Navy Attacker was soon out of date and was replaced with the Sea Hawk in front line 
  service as soon as it became available in 1954. It continued to serve in the RNVR until 1956. 
  While the Attacker did introduce the Fleet Air Arm to jet aircraft operation aboard ship, it 
  had never been brought up to a satisfactory standard.  Its altitude performance was poor, it 
  lacked maneuverability, and it was too unstable to be an effective gun platform.  As famed 
  British test pilot Eric Brown said of it, "the Attacker marked the beginning of the end of the 
  charisma surrounding the Supermarine name." 

  A total of 43 F1, 16 FB1 and 84 FB2 were built for the Royal Navy (including 36 for the 
  Pakistan Air Force).

  Building

  I made use two kits in the construction of the Attacker, the fuselage was from the Eastern 
  Express kit and I merged it with the wings and landing gears from the Novo kit. I found the 
  Wings from the Novo kit to be of a better fit and quality, although both kits were pretty bad overall (raised lines, minimal detailing, no gear wells and no cockpit) . The decals were of the Pakistan Air Force which were provided with the Eastern Express kit. I gave it an aluminium finish (as that was the case with the PAF Attackers), did some weathering using "Brunt Iron" and some touch up using aqeuous paints. All the paints used were from Gunze.      

  Special thanks to Mr Nakamoto and Adam at the Achtung Japan Hobby Club. 

  Haroon

        Click on images below to see larger images
       
         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 02.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 02.jpg 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg 

  Photos and text © 2003 by "Haroon"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Receive MSN Hotmail alerts over SMS!