Subject: Emailing: gelbe4.htm
From: "Anthony Manzoli" <[email-masked]>
To: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 19:39:57 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)

Steve here is my last finished model for ARC

Hasegawa 1:48 Scale Bf109G-6/R6

  "Gelbe 4" of  JG.300 flown by Lt. Manfred Dieterle, Bonn-Hangelar, Germany
1944

Photos and Model By: Anthony Manzoli

This particular aircraft sported the experimental camouflage of RLM 74/75/76
over black,  the sides of the fuselage having irregular RLM 75 squiggles.  
Also the aircraft was fixed with exhaust shields to dampen the flames.   

Construction: of the kit is straight forward with additions of Eduard's Zoom
Interior detail set, which includes a small fret of photo etched parts such
as instrument panel, various side panel details rudder pedals and seat belts
  I also added the oxygen line to the side panel made from fuse wire, brake
lines to the struts, flame dampeners over exhaust, True Details weighted
resin wheels, ribs for the inside of the flaps and antennae wire from
invisible thread.   

Painting: Once construction was finished the model was preshaded with RLM 66
 then followed with the RLM 76 and 75 freehanded.  I masked the upper wings
and painted the RLM 74 and free handed the upper fuselage.  My next step was
to fade the RLM 74/75 with lightened colours using a few drops of RLM 76
mixed in with the 74/75 and lightly hit the panels. Once the paint had dried
 I masked the upper fuselage and painted the underside with flat black and
highlighted the panels and panel lines with black mixed with RLM 66 to give
some contrast to the matte black. 

Decals: are from the Eagle Cal sheet #12 Bf 109 G-6's JG 300 "Wilde Sau" 
this sheet offers decals for four different G-6 night fighters.  The decals
went on very well although I pulled one of the yellow 4's off when I masked
to paint the underside, so I ended up tracing the four off the decal sheet
and making a stencil and painting them on myself using RLM 04.  This
aircraft did not have much for stenciling since it would have been over
sprayed.  Before the decals were applied, I used a soft flat brush to apply
Pascoes Long Life to the upper surface.  When this was dry the decals were
applied and then Pascoes Long Life was mixed with Tamiya Flat Base and
applied for the matte coat.  Final details included adding some small chips
on the upper wings with silver pencil, exhaust staining with thinned Gunze
soot, and some light weathering using pastels.  

  

Home

© Copyright 2000-2004  Model Hangar  all rights reserved. This website is owned and maintained by Anthony Manzoli  The Model Hangar