Subject: Re: Gallery Article - BAC Lightning F6
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:54:43 -0800

Hi Darius,
Thanks for sending in your Lightning article.  It looks good.......for some
odd reason I enjoy the British camo schemes from this time period......I
guess it reminds me of my childhood.  I'll e-mail you when your Lightning
article goes on ARC.

Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aibara Darius @Consult" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 10:55 PM
Subject: Gallery Article - BAC Lightning F6

Gallery Template #05
"1:48 Aeroclub English Electric/BAC Lightning F6"
by "Darius Aibara"
--------------------
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
Way back in 1988, I was a graduate engineer working for a UK Government
Agency that, amongst other things, managed construction at UK military
bases.  I was on a training course for Airfield Pavement Site Control and
part of the course involved a visit to RAF Waddington to see the hanger and
pavement construction works for the soon to be introduced RAF E3 Sentry
aircraft.   Some trenching works were being done to the taxiway and we were
listening to a fascinating talk about trench construction when two RAF
Lightnings did a low level high speed pass straight down the main runway -
and then did it again.  I can remember the sight and sound of that to this
day - unlike the lecture on trenches.
I was into 1:48 scale aircraft modelling at the time but had to wait a few
years before a reasonable quarter scale kit of the Lightning was available -
the Aeroclub mixed media kit (the Airfix kit was way in the future).  This
comprised vac-formed fuselage, main wing centre panels, fuel tanks and
canopy, injection moulded tailplanes, fin, cockpit tub, wing leading and
trailing edges, white metal intake ring, exhaust, undercarriage and cockpit
details, plus a very nice decal sheet with markings for Nos. 5 and 11
Squadrons RAF.
Click on images below to see larger images
Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.
Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>   Steve Bamford will insert a
click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will
bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>
 Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of
photo 05.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized
version of photo 05.jpg    <<...OLE_Obj...>>  
The vac-formed fuselage parts were cut from the backing plastic and sanded
on a sheet of wet-n-dry placed on a piece of glass shelving (from an old
fridge).  The wing centre panels just need to be cut away and lightly sanded
as the injection moulded leading and trailing edge parts are profiled to
accept the vac-formed elements with minimal preparation.  I used filler to
blend in the metal intake ring and exhaust pieces and when this is sanded
you get a very nice polished metal effect from the "polished metal".  The
rest of the assembly is like an injection moulded kit and I used Halfords
grey spray auto primer to prepare the model for painting.  I used SNJ "spray
metal" for the undersides and then brush painted the camouflage colours
using Humbrol enamel.  The Aeroclub decals were used to represent an F6 of
No. 11 Squadron RAF based at RAF Binbrook circa 1978.

Don't listen to Mario - the F6 is a superb looking aircraft!!!!!!

Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here
<<...OLE_Obj...>>
Photos and text © 2004 by "your name goes here"

 <<BAC Lightning F6.zip>>

Darius Aibara
TPS Consult

Tel:  020 8256 4090
Fax: 020 8256 4082

www.tpsconsult.co.uk

CARILLION VALUES
Openness - Collaboration - Mutual Dependency - Professional Delivery - Focus
On Sustainable Profitable Growth - Innovation
**********************************************************************
This email transmission is confidential and intended for the
addressee only. It may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you are not the person or organisation to
whom it is addressed, you must not copy, distribute, or take
any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the
[email-masked] and return it.

Carillion PLC Registered in England No. 3782379
Registered Office:
Birch Street Wolverhampton WV1 4HY
********************************************************************

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________