Subject: Re: Hasagawa A-7D for the gallery
From: "Steve Bamford ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Jake Melampy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:16:58 -0800

Hi Jake,
Thanks for sending in your A-7 article....it looks excellent.  I've got a
bit of a backlog due to "Silly Week"....and I'm catching up on my e-mails
which I fell behind on due to Christmas and Silly Week etc.  I'll e-mail you
when your article goes on ARC.
Steve Bamford
Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jake Melampy <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 1:28 PM
Subject: Hasagawa A-7D for the gallery

Hasagawa 1/48 A-7D

by Jake Melampy
--------------------
Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here

    I have always been a fan of the A-7.  I grew up in Ohio, and was lucky
enough to have three Air National Guard units in the state that all flew the
A-7.  These guys were frequent visitors to the Dayton Air Show held every
year.
    This is the Hasagawa A-7D I built about a year ago.  It has a Black Box
cockpit and Expert's Choice decals.  It is a great kit that goes together
very quickly without much of a hassle.  The only joint that gave me problems
was the wing-to-fuselage joint.  It took a lot of sanding to make the large
seam go away.
Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg
here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
03.jpg

    Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg
here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
04.jpg

    Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg
here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
05.jpg

The Black Box sets was typical of their cockpits--lots of detail, but
not-so-great fit.  It also had the control stick and throttle badly out of
scale.  The seat, though, is a little masterpiece.
    I don't hear too much about Expert's Choice's decals, but they are
easily one of the best decals I've ever used.  I didn't have any problem
applying them, and didn't even need any kind of solvent.

Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here

I didn't do a lot of weathering to this model, as the pictures I have show
this aircraft to be very clean. I gave it a very light wash of charcoal and
that gave me the effect I was after.  I added an AIM-9 Sidewinder from the
Revell F-15E, and made the intake/exhaust covers to add some color. I
sprayed on a flat coat and that finished it.
Click on images below to see larger images

Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg
here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
06.jpg

    Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg
here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
07.jpg

    Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg
here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo
08.jpg

Photos and text © 2003 by "your name goes here"