Subject: Re: The Strategic Air and Space Museum - Part 1
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Rossmann's" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 12:19:28 -0700

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
ARC Air - Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.arcair.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Rossmann's 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:56 PM
  Subject: The Strategic Air and Space Museum - Part 1

  Steve good evening,

  Here is a article on The Strategic Air and Space Museum, formerly SAC, in Ashland Nebraska.  What I did for each numbered line in the article I have a corresponding picture number that goes with it. In some cases if there is more than 1 pic I've labeled it with a, b, c etc.

  Thank you for your consideration in posting this, it is a great place to visit. I got back two weeks ago from Wright Patterson AFB, my daughter graduated from Flight School.. The Air Force museum is super cool also.

  Thanks,

  Mark L. Rossmann

  ====================================================================================

  Walkaround Template 

  "The Strategic Air and Space Museum" - Part 1

  These photos were taken by Mark L. Rossmann

  Please include your ARC Discussion Forum Name with your submission 

  (click on the image below to load the full size photo)

  (use your back button to return to this page after viewing full size photo)

  I had an opportunity to visit the SAC Museum with my son and grandson this past summer, in Ashland Nebraska. It was the first stop on a road trip from Minneapolis, to Omaha out the Mormon, Oregon, California Trails and Pony Express route on US 30. We ended at Ft Sheridan Wyoming and came back home through the Black Hills of S.D.

  The museum was established in 1959 at Offutt AFB, NE home of SAC from 1948 till its stand down in 1992. The museum was the vision of General Curtis Lemay and it used the end of an abandoned runway s its beginnings. 1969 the museum came under the control of the State of Nebraska and in 1992 the Museum separated from the state to its own SAC Memorial Society. In 1996 the museum had its groundbreaking after a 33 million dollar capital campaign and 1997 the SR-71 was the first plane to move in. 2001 the name was changed from the SAC Museum to The Strategic Air and Space Museum.

  I'll let you go out the website for further information. http://www.sasmuseum.com/

  This first part will cover the entrance, Hanger 1 and the Restoration Hanger.

  Freeway

  #1: F105 - Thunderchief - Pole Sitter on I-80. 

         Initial deployment: Nov 1962 - assigned to 355th Tactical Fighter Command, 

         Final Deployment: Mar 1982 - 466th Tactical Fighter Squadron

  Outside Walkway

  #2: Front Walkway L to R:

  a)      Convair SM-65 Atlas ICBM Missile, range 6500 miles. 

  b)      Douglas PGM-17A Thor Missile liquid fueled ballistic missile, range 1500 miles.

  c)       Chance Vought Blue Scout Missile. First solid fuel launch vehicle, 500 mile orbit. 

  d)      Northrop SM - 62 Snark nuclear warhead capable. Fired from mobile launcher, programmed flight of 1500 to 5500 nautical miles.

  #3: SAC Emblem

  Entrance

  #4 A & B:  SR-71A Blackbird (placed there and building built around it) and memorial

       ID: May 1966. Notable mission abort from Beal AFB CA. August 1981, landing at Bodo Norway.   

       Aircraft then stayed in Europe covering the Polish Solidarity Movement, flying out of RAF 

       Mildenhall until Nov 1981, then returning to Beale. 

   #4C Ceremonial Rotunda (Below SR-71)

  Hanger #1

  #5A, B, C D 

  a)      Center- Boeing KC-97G Stratotanker. 

  ID: Delivered to USAF Apr 1955 (no other info)

  FD: Dropped from USAF inventory 1964

  To refuel Jet aircraft, it "tobogganed", when connected high up, the taker and bomber flew downhill picking up speed.

  b)      Left - Apollo Command Module CSM 009 - "00" numbered space craft were for unmanned test flights. 

  c)       Ceiling - Piasecki CH-21B Workhorse first flown March 1945, winterization features allowed it to operate to -65 F. 

  ID: Jan, 1958 Assigned to 551 AEW&C Wing Otis AFB Mass. 

  FD: Dec 1965 4756 FMS, Tyndall AFB FL.

  d)      KC-97G Fueling Boom

  #6: C-119G - Flying Boxcar Tail and Cargo Bay

  ID: Jan 1953 316th Troop Carrier Group (Tactical Air Command), Stewart AFB.

  FD: 4410th Combat Crew training Wing (TAC), Lockbourne AFB, OH.

  #7:  Sikorsky H-19B Whirlwind or Chickasaw

  1951 Initial trials in Korea as tactical control missions, aircrew rescue, medical evacuation cargo, clandestine operations.

          ID: Aug 1954 310 Troop Carrier Squadron, Pope AFB, NC

          FD: July 1966 43rd Bomb Group, Little Rock, Ar.

  #8: C-47A Skytrain

         ID: Jul 1944Troop Carrier Command, Baer AAF, In.

         FD: Nov 1966 21st composite Wing, Elmendorf AFB, AK.

  #9: B-29A Superfortress

         ID: Aug 1945 Walker AFB, Victoria, Ks.

         FD: Jul 1959 3902 Air Base Wing, Offutt AFB, Ne.

  a)      Port Front

  b)      Looking in the nose

  c)       Full view

  d)       Front view  bomb bay

  e)      Rear view bomb bay

  #10: Map of unresolved Cold War Air Losses

  Restoration Hanger 

  #11 Hanger (did not have access to this area)

  a)      Left F-102A Delta Dagger

  ID: Aug 1956 327th Fighter Interceptor Sad. (ADC) George AFB, Ca.

  FD: Jul 1966 115th Fighter Group (ANG) True Field, Madison, We.

  b)      Center: C-54D Skymaster, first transonic four engined transport.

  ID: Jul 1945, Twelfth AF.

  FD: Dec 1969 3902 Air Base Wing (SAC), Offutt AFB, Ne

  c)      Mig-21F (See just under C-54 engine.)

  ID: Acquired by the Foreign Materials Acquisition/Exploitation program. Delivered to museum in 1990.

  End of Part 1

  Photos directly below were taken at 

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 01.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 01.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 02.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 02jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg
       
        1 
       2
       3
       4

  Descriptions are optional.

  Insert your photo descriptions into the blue    squares......if you have any descriptions

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg 
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg 
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg 
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg 
       
        5 
       6 
       7 
       8 

   

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 11.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg
       
        9
       10
       11
       12

   

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 16.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 16.jpg
       
        13
       14
       15
       16

   

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 18.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg
       
        17
       18
       19
       20

   

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 21.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 21.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 22.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 22.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 23.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 23.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 24.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 24.jpg
       
        21
       22
       23
       24

   

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 25.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 25.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 26.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 26.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 27.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 27.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 28.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 28.jpg
       
        25
       26
       27
       28

   

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 29.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 29.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 30.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 30.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 31.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 31.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 32.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 32.jpg
       
        29
       30
       31
       32

   

         Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 33.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 33.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 34.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 34.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 35.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 35.jpg
        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 36.jpg here.  Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 36.jpg
       
        33
       34
       35
       36