Subject: Re: Roden 1/144 DC-7
From: "Submissions for ARC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Jessica Cooper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:19:05 -0700

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know your article went on ARC today.  Thanks again for sending it in.

Steve Bamford
ARC Air - Aircraft Resource Center
http://www.arcair.com

Live like there is no tomorrow;
Love like you've never been hurt.
Work like you don't need the money.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Jessica Cooper 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 6:45 PM
  Subject: Roden 1/144 DC-7

  Hi Steve,

  I notice that there's a distinct lack of DC-7s on ARC so here's one I built a couple of summers ago.

  "1/144 Roden DC-7C"

  by"Jessica Cooper"
  --------------------

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 01.jpg here 

  The Douglas DC-7 was an evolutionary development of the very successful DC-6. The DC-7 was re-engined with Pratt & Whitney R-3350 Turbo Compound engines and given a 40 inch (~1m) length increase behind the wing. The-7C version was lengthened a further 40 inches and the wingspan increased by a 10 foot (3m) root extension. The increased wingspan, plus nacelle saddle tanks allowed for more fuel to be carried, giving it sufficient range to fly the Atlantic ocean crossing non-stop in either direction, a first for any commercial aircraft. The DC-7's passenger carying career was cut short by the introduction of the 707 and DC-8, but many airframes continued on to long careers flying freight, spraying and firefighting, so there are numerous options for colour schemes. Some DC-7s are still flying today, carying freight and fighting fires long after their successor aircraft were sent to the scrapyard. The DC-7 did not serve in major militaries, which limits the colour scheme options to civillian operators. 

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 03.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 03.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 04.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 04.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 05.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 05.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 06.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 06.jpg

  This is Roden's new 1/144 DC-7C in the colours of Japan Airlines circa 1960. This kit needs a fair bit of "some modelling skills required" to do it justice. There are minor fit problems with nearly every part, and the instructions have a couple of minor mistakes. The modeller needs a modicum of knowledge about the subject aircraft in order not to be misled. There are a few places where Roden made the assembly needlessly complicated, in particular the individual propeller blades and the totally absent nose wheel strut mount but all in all it was a straightforward build for a limited-run kit. The decals behaved very well. They are far superior to previous Roden decals. They were strong, flexible, opaque, and laid down well over the curves and detail on the model. they also reacted well to setting solutions, something Roden decals of past kits have not done at all. They're still a little fuzzy so there's still room for Roden's decals to improve.

  Modellers with experience dealing with limited run kits and small parts should have no trouble building a decent replica of this important transport aircraft. 

        Steve Bamford will insert full sized version of photo 02.jpg here 

  Areas of note in this build
  - there are no locating tabs. The kit should be treated like a vacuform and tabs cut from plastic card;
  - nose wheel strut mounting must be scratchbuilt;
  - fit needs refining in all areas. Time spent here will pay dividends at the painting stage. See photographs where the fit problems are highlighted;
  - Engine faces are too large. They should be reduced in diameter to allow the cowling halves to fit closed;
  -Right side exhausts are incorrect. Fill in the moulded exhaust stacks and insert one midway between them;
  -Pay attention to the antenna fit of your subject; Roden's instructions are generic, and in the case of this kit called for the wrong loop antennae to be mounted under the nose. For best results look for pictures of your subject. Leave some sprue on your antennae and drill holes for a positive mounting;
  -There is a mould flaw on the copilot's side of the canopy that must be filled;
  -Roden's instructions call for the wrong landing gear doors, and would have you mount the main gear legs backwards. Pay attention to reference photographs. 

  "Jessica Cooper"

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 07.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 07.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 08.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 08.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 09.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 09.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 10.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 10.jpg

  Just delete any of the boxes below you don't need.....it's not important to include them.....they are there to give you an idea of the finished article. It is best to limit your article to no more than 60 or so photos, so the finished webpage won't take too long to open.

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 11.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 11.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 12.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 12.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 13.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 13.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 14.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 14.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 15.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 15.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 16.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 16.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 17.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 17.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 18.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 18.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 19.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 19.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 20.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 20.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 21.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 21.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 22.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 22.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 23.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 23.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 24.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 24.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 25.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 25.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 26.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 26.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 27.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 27.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 28.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 28.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 29.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 29.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 30.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 30.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 31.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 31.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 32.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 32.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 33.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 33.jpg
       Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 34.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 34.jpg

        Steve Bamford will insert a click-able smaller version of photo 35.jpg here. Clicking on that photo will bring up the full sized version of photo 35.jpg

       

       

  Photos and text © by"Jessica Cooper"