Aircraft Resource Center

                                 

1/48 Hasegawa P-51D Mustang 

“Swede’s Steed”

by John Mears

--------------------

Birthday-announcement banner

Gal mainpage Ad above main pic

 

Gal mainpage Ad below main pic

Introduction

Ever since I became interested in aviation, the P-51 has taken the trophy as my all-time favorite.  I just can’t think of another aircraft, modern or vintage, that has such a beautiful shape and form.  I’m 16 years old, and have been modeling since I was 5 or 6. (I think my first was a Triumph TR4 car model.)  I’d built a Testors P-51D about 4-5 years ago that turned out pretty nice but it’s gotten destroyed over the years by fiddling around and mistreatment on my part.  Looking to build a much more detailed P-51D in my favorite scale, 1/48, I chose the Hasegawa over the Tamiya based on an article in Fine Scale Modeler (May 2001 issue). 

Construction

          This model was the first time I was going to try aftermarket parts.  I nosed around online and got together these products to add to the Mustang: Eduard PE set, Aires Resin Gear Well, True Details Weighted Tires, Seats, and Fast Frames, Moskit Exhausts, Aeromaster decals, and Superscale Invasion Stripes decals. (Sorry I forgot your names, but I’d like to thank whoever donated the invasion stripes and spare parts.)  

Click on images below to see larger images

          I didn’t have access to a digital camera at the time, so I don’t have any photos from the construction, but I’ll give a brief summary of it.  I built the model following the Hasegawa instructions, substituting kit parts for PE ones when the time came.  Because the Aires wheel well was designed for the Tamiya Kit, I had to do some major sanding and modification with a motor tool to get it to fit inside the wings.  I used large guitar string for the oxygen hose in the cockpit and added scratchbuilt details to the gunsight.  I used K&N brass tubing to rebuild the upper sections of the main landing gear struts. I intended to use Paragon Designs flaps but they would need a lot of modification to work, so I cut out the kit flaps and added lengths of styrene rod to lower them. 

Click on images below to see larger images

Painting and Weathering

          The aluminum finish was achieved with many coats of SNJ Spray Metal Aluminum.  I used Tamiya masking tape to paint the black anti-glare panel.  Although the Superscale invasion stripes were supposedly made for the Hasegawa kit, the wing decals didn’t match the kit very well, so I airbrushed Model Master Acryl Flat White on first then cut out and applied the black stripes and touched it up with more Acryl Flat Black.  I trimmed and applied the full decals for the fuselage stripes and touched up with paint.  The markings are a combination of the Aeromaster decals and the Hasegawa kit decals.   

          Final weathering was done with an acrylic wash and chalk pastels.  The paint chipping was a combination of Testors Enamel Aluminum, Silver colored pencil, and using masking tape to bring up areas of the paint on top of the aluminum.  I know the plane looks extremely stressed and not taken care of properly but I find it much easier to dirty a model up than keep it looking clean.  Sorry for any historical inaccuracies…

Click on images below to see larger images

Conclusion

          The model is technically not finished yet, I still have to add the canopy brace and airbrush some more exhaust soot to get rid of the clear edge around the “Swede’s Steed” decals. [p51d_exhaust.jpg Fullsize Right Aligned] I hope to put it on a diorama base and have a pilot standing next to it in the future, but I’d like to get started on my Tamiya 1/32 Zero, which has been sitting under my workbench since Christmas!

 John

Click on images below to see larger images

 

Click on images below to see larger images

Gal mainpage Ad above main pic

Vertical ad

Photos and text © by John Mears

footer banner